Thursday, March 31, 2011

everyone i know is getting married and having babies. i'm just making ridiculous cookies

Oh boy.  I am totally going to have to go on a healthy [cooking] kick after this recipe.  Because this is some serious uber indulgence going on right now.  And I have to give credit where credit is due: I am totally cribbing from Peabody.  She is definitely my go to girl for seriously indulgent sweets.  And I felt like I needed/deserved a little indulgence in my life (especially after making the fat free muffins this morning - which are actually seriously good.  I have to give a plug here for Krusteaz fat free muffin mixes.  So tasty, you'd never know there was no fat in it.)  So I made cookies and cream cookies.  Now I know it seems like a waste of perfectly good cookies (double stuff oreos to be exact), but it just sounded so good and perfect.  And I like cookies and cream flavored things (like ice cream) but actually kind of hate cream filled cookies - oreos, specifically.  I think it originated from a fear regarding my appearance after eating them (hello, being thirteen with black junk stuck in your braces.    Totally embarrassing.).  But, never the less, there will be some heading over to my parents' house tomorrow night to be judged by the connoisseur of cookies, my father.

Cookies and Cream Cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
10 Double Stuff Oreos
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour

Peabody calls for a bag of Hershey's Cookies 'n' Cream drops, but my local grocery store didn't have them.  I substituted that for 3/4 of a bag of cookies 'n' cream miniatures which had both white chocolate with cookie pieces and milk chocolate with cookie pieces.  Basically the only part I didn't use was the plain milk chocolate  miniatures.  And I chopped each one into thirds.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a stand mixer, which makes life infinitely easier.  Basically the way I listed the ingredients is the way they go in.  Start with your butter at room temp, if it's not nuke it for 30 sec or so to soften it just a little.  Cream butter and sugar and vanilla until it is fluffy.  Add in Oreos and mix until they are broken down into small pieces.  I didn't necessarily believe that they would break down in the mixer, but low and behold they totally did.  Then add your eggs one at a time and allow them to mix in between.  Then toss in your dry ingredients.  Finally remove your bowl from the mixing stand and fold in your chocolate, be it drops or miniatures.  Honestly, the batter on this one is almost better than the actual cookie - it reminded me of super concentrated cookies 'n' cream ice cream flavor.  So good.

This recipe is kind of beautiful because it is a one bowl wonder.  I LOVE stuff like that.  Especially when I am the primary kitchen cleaner in my apartment.    That is pretty much my domain where cleaning comes into it.  The dining room is the female roommate's domain, their bedroom is up to them, the bathroom is shared between she and I, and for the most part the living room is all them.  So yeah, the less stuff I dirty in the kitchen, the better.  And trust me, I dirtied plenty of stuff when I made dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment