Monday, January 31, 2011

go. make. this. now.

Aaahhh...I am so behind!  There has been so much cooking happening and I have said NOTHING about it.
First things first - I am very proud to say I have conquered buffalo chicken soup.  OMG.  SO.  GOOD.  GO.  GO NOW AND MAKE THIS!!!  Seriously  it was that good.  I pretty much love buffalo anything, and in the winter, I am totally a soup fiend so this was a match made in heaven for me.

Buffalo Chicken Soup
-4 cups chicken stock
-1/2 to 1 cup buffalo sauce (I used 3/4 of a cup of Franks - what else is there, really?)
-two bunches of scallions
-1 really big potato peeled and cut
-4 to 6 stalks of celery chopped
-3/4 of a bag of chunky carrot shreds (because I am lazy), or probably 3 to 5 carrots chopped
-1 heaping tablespoon of basil pesto mustard (regular mustard would probably work too, and it's not necessary but definitely adds a great flavor dimension)
-2 tablespoons of cream cheese (optional)
-1 1/2 cups of chopped chicken
-3/4 stick of butter

Ok, for starters, I totally cheated.  I didn't use chicken.  I used my leftover turkey.  What?  Something needed to be done with it.  I am so not a food waster.
First throw all the veggies in the pot with the butter and cook it for about 10-15 minutes so the veggies can soften.
Then add chicken stock, buffalo sauce, chicken.  Cook another 10-15 minutes.
Add mustard and cream cheese.  Whisk soup so that cream cheese dissolves properly and cook another 15-20 minutes.
Soup is done!  I topped mine with blue cheese crumbles.  Also while thinking other things that could be good in this soup - orzo, peas, bacon....it is a versatile soup to say nothing else of it.
But seriously, go make this now!  It is so yummy, can be made as spicy or unspicy as you want it to be and would be great on Superbowl Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment